RESUMPTION/RETENTION OF SRI LANKAN CITIZENSHIP (DUAL CITIZENSHIP)
GRANTING OF DUAL CITIZENSHIP – ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE FOR ACCEPTING DUAL CITIZENSHIP APPLICATIONS
Please see the amendment on Processing Fee (April 8, 2015)
01. The existing legal framework for granting of dual citizenship
Dual citizenship is granted in terms of the provisions of Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 as amended by Act No. 45 of 1987. a) Section 19 (2) of the said Act makes provisions in respect of a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased due to obtaining of citizenship in another country and who thereafter desires to resume the status of a citizen of Sri Lanka.
b) Section 19 (3) of the said Act makes provisions in respect of a person who, having a desire to obtain the citizenship in another country, intends to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka.
A request under 1 and 2 above can be made to the Minister-in-charge of the subject. When the Minister-in-charge is satisfied that granting the request would be of benefit to Sri Lanka, dual citizenship will be granted.
02. Persons who may make an application for dual citizenship;
A person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased under Sections 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 or a person whose citizenship in Sri Lanka is likely to cease.
03. Qualification criteria for applying for dual citizenship ( Categories under which one can apply)
An applicant who satisfies any one of the following criteria can apply for dual citizenship:
a) An applicant who exceeds the age of 55 years.
b) An applicant who possesses the required academic or professional qualifications – an educational qualification of minimum one year diploma or higher or any professional qualification.
c) An applicant who owns immovable property/assets in Sri Lanka worth Rs. 2.5 million or above.
d) An applicant who has a fixed deposit of Rs. 2.5 million or above for a 03 year period in any of the Commercial banks approved by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL).
e) An applicant who has a fixed deposit of USD 25,000/- or above for a 03 year period under NRFC/RFC/SFIDA Accounts, in any of commercial banks approved by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL) in Sri Lanka.
f) An applicant who has invested USD 25,000/- above for 03 years under Treasury bonds (TB) or Security Investment Accounts (SIA).
g) The spouse of the applicant or UNMARRIED CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 22 YEARS OF THE APPLICANT. A spouse eligible under this provision shall be limited to a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased under Sections 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 or a person whose citizenship is likely to cease.
04. Documents need to be submitted along with the citizenship application
1. Duly filled application for Dual citizenship along with 3 passport size photographs.
(3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 2 x 2”)
Please click here to download :
• The Dual Citizenship Application - Download
• Instructions in Sinhala - Download
• Instructions in Tamil - Download
• Instructions in English - Download
2. ORIGINAL Birth Certificate OR a copy certified by the Consular division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka. (If the applicant is a citizen of Sri Lanka by registration, the relevant certificate or a copy certified by the Consular division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka)
3. If the applicant is married, the ORIGINAL marriage certificate OR a copy certified by the Consular division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
i) An applicant submitting application for Resumption under section 19 (2) (A person whose Sri Lankan Citizenship ceased due to obtaining of citizenship in another country) should submit following documents.
(a) ORIGINAL Foreign Citizenship Certificate.
(b) ORIGINAL foreign passport AND Copies of the Bio data and observation pages.
(c) A recent Police clearance report from the country of foreign citizenship NOT OLDER THAN 03 MONTHS in English or an English Translation of the original. (Police clearance certificate can be obtained by the relevant state Police/Authority) CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS ARE EXEMPTED FROM THIS REQUIREMENT.
(d) COPY of Bio data page and the observation page of the previous Sri Lankan passport (if available)
ii) An applicant submitting application for Retention under section 19 (3) (A person who is having the desire to obtain citizenship in another country, while intends to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka) should submit following documents.
(a) ORIGINAL PASSPORT AND COPIES of Bio data page and the observation page of the current Sri Lankan passport along with the original passport.
(b) ORIGINAL permanent residence card and COPY of same.
(e) A recent Police clearance report from the country of permanent residence not older than 3 months in English or an English Translation of the original. ( Police clearance certificate can be obtained by the relevant state Police/Authority) CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS ARE EXEMPTED FROM THIS REQUIREMENT.
5. Documents of proof for the selected category.
CATEGORY (3:a) – IF APPLYING BASED ON THE AGE CATEGORY
ORIGINAL Birth Certificate AND a COPY of same
CATEGORY (3:b) – APPLYING UNDER THE ACADEMIC/ PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION CATEGORY
ORIGINAL Educational/ Professional certificates. (minimum one year diploma or higher, or any other professional qualification).
CATEGORY (3:c) - IF APPLYING UNDER ASSETS/ PROPERTIES CATEGORY
ORIGINALS of the documentary proof of applicant’s assets such as; lands or other immovable properties in Sri Lanka worth of Rs. 2.5 million or above and originals of the Deed, valuation report & title reports for the same should also be submitted.
CATEGORY (3:d) -IF APPLYING UNDER FIXED DEPOSIT OF RS. 2.5 MILLION OR ABOVE ACATEGORY
An confirmation letter from the bank mentioning deposit will not be withdrawn within a period of 3 year.
CATEGORY (3:e) IF APPLYING UNDER THE FIXED DEPOSIT OF USD 25,000 OR ABOVE CATEGORY
A confirmation letter from the bank mentioning deposit will not be withdrawn within a period of 3 year.
CATEGORY (3:f) IF APPLYING UNDER THE TREASURY BOND (TB) OR SECURITY BOND (SIA) CATEGORY
A certificate from the relevant Authority confirming the investment will not be withdrawn prior to maturity.
CATEGORY (3:G) IF APPLYING UNDER THE SPOUSE OF THE APPLICANT OR AN UNMARRIED CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 21 YEARS AND 6 MONTHS,
The original marriage certificate (For Spouse) and original birth certificate (For unmarried child – born in Sri Lanka) or the original Citizenship certificate issued under section 5 (2) of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 (For unmarried child – born outside the Sri Lanka).
A spouse or children eligible under this category shall be limited to a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased under section 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 or a person whose Sri Lankan citizenship is likely to cease.
06. Submission of application
- Please refer the instructions attached with the application prior to completing the application.
- The duly perfected application can be sent directly to the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration.
- The application can also be handed over to the Head Office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration to the following address. The application and the documents so submitted should be authenticated by Deputy or Assistant Controller of the Citizenship Division.
The Controller GeneralDepartment of Immigration & Emigration
"Suhurupaya" Subhuthi Dr.
• The duly perfected applications of those living in the United States of America can also be sent through the Consulate Office in Los Angeles, to the following address.
Consulate General Of Sri Lanka
3250 Wilshire Blvd #2180
TP :(213) 387-0210E
Processing fee of USD 30.00 will be charged by the Consulate Office to process each application for Dual Citizenship.
• The required documents will be authenticated by an Authorized official in the Sri lankan Consulate Office Los Angeles.
• Please note that if you wish to submit the application to the Sri lankan Consulate Office Los Angeles, Originals of all the required documents should be submitted along with two sets of photo-copies of each document.
• A money order /certified check for USD 25.00 (in state) or USD 30.00 (out of state) in favor of The Consulate General of Sri Lanka, Los Angeles has to be sent along with the application to be used as the return mailing fee, in terms of sending the original documents back to the applicant.(This does not concern those who submit the applications in person to the consulate.
•The Consulate General will issue a reference number to each applicant in two weeks time from the submission of the application. The reference number can be used for further inquiries.
• The Department of Immigration and Emigration will notify the applicant through email to make the applicable payment once the application is approved. Details will be notify by the Department of Immigration and Emigration .
• Note that the procedure is continued by the Immigration and Emmigration of Sri lanka once the applications are sent from the Consulate.
• An applicant can check the status of their Dual Citizenship online through the following link ( Please note that the results will not usually be displayed online before 90 days after submission of the application)
07. Dual Citizenship Fee
Consulate Processing fee (per application) - $30.00
Main applicant – Rs. 345,000.00
Spouse of applicant – Rs. 57,500.00
Unmarried child below 22 years - Rs. 57,500.00
• Above mentioned fees excluding the consulate processing fee, have to be made once you receive the confirmation letter from the Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka over email asking to do so.
Period of process:
The time frame cannot be accurately mentioned due to the large number of applications in process.
In average it will take 8-9 months for the completion of the process.